Mike Tyson, a former American professional boxer, is widely regarded as one of the greatest heavyweight fighters of all time. Known for his ferocious and intimidating boxing style, Tyson made history as the first boxing star to hold the WBC, WBA, and IBF titles simultaneously. However, behind his successful career, there is a tragic story that not many people are aware of – the loss of his daughter.
In 2009, tragedy struck Mike Tyson’s home when his daughter, Exodus Tyson, tragically passed away in a home accident. She was only four years old at the time of her death. The devastating loss left the entire family in shock, with nothing but memories of the little angel they had lost.
According to a report by Briefly.co.za, Mike Tyson later revealed that he turned to substance abuse as a way to numb the pain of losing his daughter. The unimaginable grief and heartbreak led him down a dangerous path of self-destruction.
The incident occurred on May 26, 2009, when Exodus Tyson’s mother, Sol Xochitl, asked her seven-year-old son Miguel Leon to check on his baby sister, who was occupied with some house chores. Tragically, Miguel found his sister unconscious after she had become tangled in a treadmill cable.
Desperate to save his sister’s life, Miguel immediately informed his mother, who untangled the cord from around Exodus’ neck. Sol Xochitl then called 911 and performed CPR on her daughter while waiting for emergency services to arrive.
Paramedics arrived and took over from the distressed mother, but unfortunately, Exodus remained unresponsive. She was rushed to St Joseph‘s Hospital and Medical Centre in Phoenix, where she was placed on life support. Despite their best efforts, Exodus tragically passed away.
Mike Tyson, who was in Las Vegas at the time, flew back to Phoenix upon hearing the devastating news. The bereaved father later announced the heartbreaking loss on social media, requesting privacy during their time of grief.
A private funeral was held for Exodus Tyson between June 29 and 31, 2009. The service was attended by only the family of Exodus’ mother and fifteen of Mike’s closest friends. It was a solemn and private affair to honor the memory of the young girl.
Following the tragedy, Mike Tyson found love once again and married Lakiha Spicer on June 6, 2009, just eleven days after the loss of his daughter. The couple has been happily married for over a decade.
Before finding happiness with Lakiha, Mike had been previously married twice. His first marriage was to American actress Robin Givens, which ended in divorce due to spousal abuse allegations. He then married Monica Turner, but their marriage also ended in divorce after six years.
Moving forward, Mike Tyson had to navigate the depths of grief with six other children: Lorna, Rayna, Amir, Leon, Milan, and Morocco. Each child has a different mother, and they are all part of Mike’s blended family.
- In 2009, Mike Tyson’s daughter Exodus tragically passed away at the age of four in a home accident.
- Exodus Tyson was found unconscious after tangling herself with a treadmill cable.
- Mike turned to substance abuse to cope with the immense grief and pain of losing his daughter.
- A private funeral was held for Exodus, attended by only the immediate family and close friends.
- Mike Tyson is currently married to Lakiha Spicer, and they have been married for over a decade.
- Exodus Tyson died at the age of four in a home accident involving a treadmill cord.
- The incident occurred in May 2009.
- Mike Tyson turned to substance abuse to cope with the loss of his daughter.
- The private funeral for Exodus took place between June 29 and 31, 2009.
- Mike Tyson has six other children from previous relationships.